A seasoned HRM generalist with significant change management and labour relations’ experience. I have developed a reputation for innovative and forward thinking business solutions and successfully creating positive employee relations cultures.
With more than 30 years experience I have developed my strengths as an HRM/ER strategist and helped organizations transform their cultures to create business successes, and contributing to business results by focusing the HR practice on providing value-added services. Through continuous research I have developed a unique strategic approach based on a competency model and centred on the concept of the “Employment Cycle” (talent acquisition, orientation, performance management, training and development, communications).
As a senior HR practitioner I have lead several change management initiatives through the application of strong project management skills and a process orientation. Created and a unique Cultural Guideline delivery process that emphasized JIT frontline training and reinforced corporate values.
I have also lead over 125 bargaining sessions involving most of the major private sector unions (CEP, Teamsters, CAW, USWA, RWDSU). Negotiated Canada’s first (and only) “evergreen contracts that eliminated the union’s right to strike voluntarily. The collaborative approaches I have adopted have been featured at the Annual Union-Management Partnerships Forum on several occasions. I also have adopted new approaches to conflict resolution in both unionized and non-union settings.
I am also an accomplished author having published several books on Human Resource Management and Labour Relations Best Practices.
Consulting Services include:
- Developing Labour Realtions Strategies
- Contract Negotiations
- Appearances at Arbitrations and Tribunals
- Management and Supervisory Training
- Interim Management
- Management Coaching
- Negotiated the first No Strike “Evergreen” collective agreements in Canada;
- Established collective bargaining strategies and proactive labour relations initiatives resulting in reduced grievances and arbitrations;
- Developed and implemented union-free strategies at greenfield sites;
- Established the Strategic Planning Process for a Canadian business unit;
- Lead global HR Metrics project;
- Facilitated the major reorganization of a multi-site division, reducing from eleven facilities to five in less than one year;
- Developed and implemented organizational change initiatives resulting in significant productivity gains and bottom line improvements;
- Introduced successful incentive programs resulting in substantial productivity improvements;
- Created Positive ER Strategies around concept of the employment cycle (recruitment, orientation, performance management, training, etc.);
- Designed and implemented Cultural Guidelines process to transform corporate vision into action;
- Designed and introduced Safety Improvement Process resulting in cost reductions over $2 million over a 5 year period.
- Facilitated the integration of two businesses (one U.S. based) into single operating unit.